Sightseeing Attractions Dresdner Historic Sights Semper Opera Semperoper Frauenkirche Church of Our
Lady Zwinger Sites Sightseeings Dresden Dresdener Kennel Baroque Style Building Century
Gothic city Walls House Ruins ruin Memorial German Historically Theater Place Architecture
Castle Cathedral Italian Village Programs Music Dance Events Concerts Ballet Concert Event
Calendar Festive Buliding high Renaissance Colonnades Buildings Attraction Capital Saxony
August Starke Elector Saxon king Poland Orangerie Pavilions Parlor Gallery Pavilion
Marriage Prince Friedrich Emperor Daughter Plays Elements Annual Middle Galleries
Pictorial Festival Residenzschloss Residence Schinkelwache Rathausturm Tower Synagogue
Reiter 2006 2007
Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother) Dresden
The Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother) is the landmark of Dresden. It was built between 1726 and 1743 in baroque style. On the same site, there used to be another building, which was constructed in the 11th century as main church of Dresden. The small gothic building was in front of the city walls for a long time. With the first town expension in the 16th century, it was integrated in the town area. At the beginning of the 18th century it became dilapidate so it had to give way for a bigger more modern new building - the Dresden Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother).
The architect Georg Bahr was committed with the direction for the building of the Dresden Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother). In 1734 the church could finally be sanctified. Two years later Johann Sebastian Bach played the Silbermann organ in the Frauenkirche. Another two years later, the bell-shaped dome was completed. In 1743 the construction works were finally finished. The result was a masterpiece of the baroque and the european construction art. The Lord's house reached a height of 93 meters including the dome cross.
As Dresden sank into debris and ashes during the night of February 13 to 14, 1945 under the bomb attacks of the allied fliers, whereby over 35,000 people became victims, it looked like the last hour had struck for the Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother) in Dresden. But it looked like the church could stand the destroying attacks for the time being. On the morning of February 15 it showed that the pillars of the burned out interior rooms couldn't hold the heavy stone dome anymore. The Dresden Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother) toppled down to a huge heap of ruins. Only two ruin parts were still held upright.
Even though plans were already done in 1945 to rebuild the Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother) Dresden and four years later the first rescue and measuring works were taken in offense, the rebuilding eventually failed on the political circumstances. Thereby the ruin Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother) Dresden stayed an impressive memorial for about half a century for the downfall of the town Dresden. Four years after the reunification of the two German states, the vision to let the Frauenkirche (church of our holy mother) Dresden be rebuilt in its former beauty became reality. Since 1994 stonemasons and restaurateurs are tireless in commitment to reconstruct the ruin into a historically accurate reproduction.
Semper opera Dresden
The Semper opera at the theater place in the old town of Dresden certainly counts to the prettiest operas of the world. This counts to the architecture, as well as to the magnificent design of the interior rooms. Framed from the castle, the Dresden Zwinger, Trinity cathedral and Italian village, the Dresden Semper opera shines resplendently each evening in the glance of spotlights. The auditorium offers all kinds of glorious programs for music and and dance events. Besides the opera, concerts and ballet performances belong to the repertoire of the Semper opera too. Events concert event calendar plan
The first Dresden Semper opera was built in the first half of the 19th century instead of an older opera. In 1841 the festive opening took place. The Semper opera Dresden owes its name to the architect Gottfried Semper (1803 to 1879). In 1869 it was destroyed through a fire. Laying of the corner stone was two years later. This was the start for a reconstruction, which again was lead by Gottfried Semper. In 1878 the new opera was inaugurated. The new buliding, which was built in the style of the venetian high renaissance, was noticeably bigger than the burned down building which was there before.
The Dresden Semper opera also completely burned down as a result of the allied bomb attacks on Dresden. Only the facade and a couple of colonnades remained obtained. Only necessary maintenance measures were done during the postwar period. First between 1977 and 1985 the opera was renewed from ground up. At the same time, new function buildings (rehearsal stage, wardrobes, administration rooms, etc.) came into being at the back of the building.
The Dresden Zwinger is known as the most prettiest construction in the style of the baroque in the old town of Dresden. Surrounded by the castle, Trinity cathedral and Semper opera Dresden, is one of the biggest attraction of the capital city of Saxony.
The Dresden Zwinger was built in three construction phases between 1709 and 1732 in the government period of August des Starken (* 1670, 1733, from 1694 elector of Saxon, from 1697 king of Poland). In 1709 the corner stone for a Orangerie was laid. It consisted of two corner pavilions (today mathematic-physical parlor and French parlor), which were connected to each other through an arch gallery. Between 1714 and 1716 the southern long gallery, the crown gate and the wall pavilion were attached. The marriage of the elector prince Friedrich August with the Emperor's daughter Maria Josepha in the year 1718 was the reason for a resumption of the construction work. At first, the riding plays of the four elements and the annual fair of the nations originated. The German pavilion and the porcelain pavilion were done until 1728. Both were connected through a gallery with the chimes pavilion in the middle.
Today the Dresden Zwinger is combined with several pavilion constructions and galleries to an impressive ensemble around a harmonious rolling inner yard of orange trees. Because of the exceptional artistic design and its reliefs, parts of the building outstand, for example the wall pavilion. In front of the main entrance, the crown gate, is the Zwinger ditch right next to the Zwinger pond. The Zwinger is surrounded by a park which has lots of quiet places to relax.
The Zwinger harbors several museums today. The most significant is the picture gallery "Alte Meister" ("Old Master"). Further exhibitions are the armory, the porcelain collection and the mathematic-physical parlor. The inner yard builds a pictorial setting for several open-air events in summer, among others the Dresden Music Festival and the original hand organ festival.
Further places of interest in Dresden
Further places of interest in Dresden are among others the Dresden Residenzschloss (residence castle), the Schinkelwache, the Rathausturm (city hall tower), Dresden synagogue and the Goldene Reiter (golden rider).
013-pill 4-stars castle palace hotel
Dresden Elbe River restaurant Saxony
Sightseeing attractions Dresdner historic sights Semper Opera Semperoper Frauenkirche Church of Our Lady Zwinger sites